Wednesday, September 26, 2012

TRAVEL BOOKS - Diana's Top Five

Enjoying the last of the lazy warm days of the season? Thought you might enjoy making a trip to Barnes & Nobles or checking out on-line with Amazon.com for some reading materials for our trip. Fellow cruiser, Kelly asked me me what some of my favorite travel books were and so here are my go to Top Five choices, particularly for this getaway!

Number # 1 
DK EYEWITNESS TOP 10 TRAVEL GUIDE
When taking a cruise and time is limited to a day in port. DK Eyewitness Top Ten Travel Guide works well. It's concise and focused. Just explore by City or Country or Region
and you should be on your way to your destination.

Number # 2
DK EYEWITNESS TRAVEL GUIDE
This is a the go to book if you want more details then the Top Ten. Again I enjoy the DK Eyewitness series because it's focused not always wordy and has quick points of interests and information which is helpful. Plus the photos are generally a great quality. Be sure to check this out, as the book itself is kinda heavy due to the quality and heavier paper stock. Do keep this in mind if you plan to take it with you.

Number #3
LONELY PLANET
Is very detail and what I can describe as a "adventuresome" travel book. I know my girlfriend Stella uses this book quite a lot for her planning resource prior to trips. Note that if culture, history, traditions and nature is your focus this resource may be of interests.  

Number #4
FROMMER's & FODOR's
In my opinion, these two books are what I consider the standard travel books. More like a travel encyclopedia. Lots of details and specifics. But, for me personally these books can be noted for updates and revisions. So be sure you check for the most current publications.  

Number #5
INTERNET 
With access to the world wide web, how can you not list this as a travel resource. Just plan to have plenty of time as you can find yourself lost in hours of explorations drilling into links after links.  Another new territory that I have not explored is the Apps world for your mobile device. Perhaps someone out there can offer their expertise and recommendation?


No comments:

Post a Comment