Friday, February 22, 2013

Traveling With a Camera ...by John Working


John Working

Peggy & Rocky Alby
I do like to travel, taking either long or short trips; and when I travel I love to take my camera(s) and take pictures. It's fun; and when the trip is long past I can look back at all the pictures or bore friends with them all the time remembering the wonderful time we had. I have a friend who never takes pictures, or for that matter never brings a camera which makes me wonder how he remembers all of it. I've found pictures help me remember and many times remind me of a funny story or an unplanned adventure. So anyway, Diana asked me to share some travel photography pointers and while I'm certainly no expert I'll give it a go. 
When I travel I see many people using their cell phones as a camera. On our last trip I saw two people using their IPads and thought it seemed real awkward. I think I'd worry more about dropping the IPad then getting a good picture. If you are a member of Costco there is a  question about using one of the new smartphones rather than a camera in the December 2012 issue of "The Costco Connection" (page 15). Marc Saltzman, high tech reporter, answers it better than I could. For those of you not members he basically says the camera takes much better pictures because a camera manages the light better, has longer battery life, use optical zoom rather than digital zoom, meaning pictures are clearer when you zoom. Many of the new digital cameras allow uploading directly to websites or your computer using Wi-Fi. The newer cameras also allow for GPS "geotagging" to mark geographical information. A person I often travel with wondered why people spend all the money on the trip and then use their cell phone for pictures. I wonder that too because cameras are not really that expensive and they do not take up much room. 
Here are some things I do:
  • When you get to your destination remember to check and set the time and date on the camera. And if you're traveling around like we will be check the time occasionally, making sure it reflects local time.  Every time you take a picture it is stamped with date and time and if you're like me and take many many pictures it really is helpful when organizing your pictures. You might also forget where a picture was taken, the correct date will help. 
  • Be sure to bring along an extra memory card for the camera just in case something happens to the first or you end up taking more pictures. A memory card is where the camera stores the pictures and like a computer memory has limited storage. Pictures take up lots of memory. 
  • If your camera allows consider organizing your pictures by date or a separate folder for each day. I did this the last two trips and it helps with organization when you get home. You could also keep a small diary to go along. 
  • I usually bring my lap top and, when I have time copy the pictures off the memory card to the lap top doing some organizing and editing (deleting) as I go.   My pictures are then saved in two locations, the camera memory card and the lap top. If you cannot upload to Facebook from the camera you can off the computer and that's always fun. I notice Princess has WiFi Connection of sorts. 
  • Be sure to keep your camera with your carry on. The scanners used for checked luggage can be stronger and possibly damage the camera, memory card or both. Plus checked bags get banged around, possibly damaging things inside. 
  • Take as many pictures as you want because you can easily delete either on the trip or once back at home. This last trip my wife and I took 1.900 pictures!
  • Don't forget to pack your camera battery charger and maybe an extra battery. 

So bring a "real" camera and take lots of pictures, you will not regret it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment